What is IBAT for WBG?
IBAT for WBG is a web-based map and reporting tool that provides fast, easy and integrated access to critical biodiversity information on priority species, legally protected areas and internationally recognized areas. The tool is available to WBG specialists via their desktop and mobile devices.
IBAT for WBG was developed with WBG specialists to support early implementation of Performance Standard 6, with a focus on critical habitat screening. IBAT draws from core data sets managed and complied by the IBAT Alliance: IUCN, UNEP-WCMC, BirdLife International, and Conservation International. This builds on the successful experience of IBAT for Business, launched in 2008, that supports private sector users and multilateral finance institutions during project screening and assessment.
IBAT for WBG was never intended to replace more detailed assessments, sophisticated GIS analysis or field surveys. Instead, it aims to ensure a fast but thorough early scoping of critical issues in order to design more effective assessment process.
How can IBAT help WBG specialists?
- Early screening or appraisal of WBG project risks related to critical habitat values.
- Prioritizing between sites in a large portfolio for further assessment.
- Assessing potential applicability of biodiversity-related WBG safeguards or performance standard requirements.
- Scoping biodiversity issues to be considered during environmental impact assessments by client or consultants.
- Providing biodiversity inputs to Strategic Environmental Assessments or other strategic national planning and assessment.
- Screening country-level risks related to WBG investments at the national level.
IBAT for WBG does not:
- Replace the need for environmental impact assessment.
- Replace the need for field survey or ground-truthing.
- Replace the need for consultation with biodiversity experts.
- Replace GIS analysis or modelling.
- Make your coffee. Yet.
How do I learn to use IBAT for WBG?
How can I share IBAT for WBG with external clients, consultants or partners?
IBAT for WBG is only available to WBG staff. This is both to ensure confidentiality of WBG work but also because we have received special data permissions from some partners. The sister site, IBAT for Business, is however available to external clients, consultants and partners via various payment options. We recommend sending all requests from such external partners wishing to access IBAT data or reports to the IBAT for Business.
How do I make IBAT for WBG better?
You can help make IBAT better in 3 keys ways:
- Share any feedback on things we are doing well or things we could do better. Please contact the IBAT Alliance.
- Promote sharing of any relevant up-to-date data collected during a WBG project with IBAT Alliance data partners at the national or international level here [link to contact email]. The most valued data relates to species occurrences and the boundaries of protected areas or key biodiversity areas.
- Share ideas you might have for new ways to apply IBAT for WBG in WBG work.